This post is just a hodgepodge of a few things I think you will enjoy . . . things I enjoy.
- Follow this hiker as she rambles across the United States and Canada in her tiny trailer, taking wonderful pictures along the way. Her courage is amazing.
- While you wait for Downton Abbey Season 3 to come out in a form you can watch, try out the series Land Girls (the first series at least is available from Netflix.) The characters are engaging and the scenery is beautiful.
- I finished reading Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken Kesey. Truthfully, the adjective I most want to apply to this book is cinematic, but when I tried to watch the movie, I was disappointed. I love Paul Newman, and the logging scenes seemed wonderful, but they just did not do justice to the complicated character interactions of this book. It was a difficult read — the kind of book you have to start over the minute you finish it to figure out what really happened– but well worth the endeavor.
- I am so excited about higher level courses being offered over Internet. Coursera has a wonderful list of courses starting soon. Eden and I took a course about World Music earlier this year, and while we were not able to finish all the assignments and get a certificate, we have since explored in more detail many of the things we learned. Starting in January, I will be taking a Nutrition for Health Promotion class that promises to be very interesting.
- Just finished Gretchen Rubin’s book Happier at Home. It was a great follow-up to her first, Happiness Project, with many ideas to put to work. One of the things I have put to work already is her plan to “suffer for 15 minutes” to accomplish a project she had been putting off. It’s hardly suffering for me to quilt, but I have been working on quilting in 15 minute intervals, and have gotten a lot closer to finishing the quilt I’ve been working on all year.
Do you have some great recommendations to share? Please leave a comment below.