Today has been a nasty, snowy, windy day here in central Utah. Great time to spend some quality time with the kitchen. The girls and I put our new aprons to good use (made by Grandma!)
As I spent the afternoon in the kitchen, I thought about one of my goals for 2012: make a pie every month. I know it’s a strange goal — after all, I usually am trying to restrict goodies and use less sugar. But pie is a special kind of dessert. It always seems to me to be more work than a cake, and especially if it is a fruit pie, more wholesome. It is also old-fashioned and (in this family) consumed in a single sitting.
I realized that of all the things on my goal list for last year, this was one I had accomplished! We have eaten some wonderful (and not so wonderful) pies this year. So my plan is to share my pie resolution with you. Here it is: make a pie every month during 2013. Share it with the group of us here on this site. I am already excited to begin for 2013. About the 15th of each month, I’ll post about the pie I made, and you can leave recipes or links in the comments to the pies you made. Sound good?
Here’s my plan so far:
- January — Honey Pecan pie (I’ve never made a pecan pie, and I object to corn syrup)
- February — Grape Pie (the recipe says it is a lot like a gooseberry pie — I’ll have to try it!)
- March — Lemon Meringue Pie
- April — Old fashioned Indian Cream Pie (doesn’t the name say it all?)
- May — The Best Rhubarb pie (with my mother-in-law’s secret ingredient)
- June — Cherry pie (or some variation) for cherry season
- July — Peach pie (the summer’s first peach pie is the best!)
- August — Pear- maple syrup pie (I think I can get pears by then, and I’ve never made pear pie.)
- September — Apple pie, of course! Maybe an apple-raspberry, or apple-?
- October — This could easily be another apple pie — apple season is wonderful or banana cream, Shandy’s favorite
- November — Pumpkin pie with home cooked squash
- December — Cranberry pie –now to choose my favorite recipe
Of course, the list is likely to change. Still, I’m excited to share my pie creations with you, and see what you have to share as well!